How I Became A Permanent Resident of Canada in Just 5 Months (Migrating to Canada)

October 7, 2017.The Rustic Nomad.0 Likes.53 Comments
Home/North America/Canada/How I Became A Permanent Resident of Canada in Just 5 Months (Migrating to Canada)

I’ve been living in Singapore for more than 7 years now. I love Singapore, its efficient transport system, admirable civil service, delicious food and world class airport. But I don’t see myself living here for the rest of my life. Despite the perks like high paying job, very low income tax and living in a safe environment, living in Singapore is just another phase in my life that would eventually just pass. I decided in migrating to Canada and apply for a permanent residency 2 years back.

Migrating to Canada – Niagara Falls, Ontario

Why Canada? Canada is one of the countries that is open for migration where professionals and highly skilled workers can apply to migrate without physically living there. The most enticing is the Canadian Passport, migrating to Canada will eventually give you a Canadian citizenship and having to travel with a Canadian passport to almost everywhere without applying for a visa is a dream. Before I tell you how I got my Canada Immigrant Visa in just 5 months, let me define some terms related to the process.

Immigrant Visa – Immigrant visa is a single entry visa that will be stamped in your passport once your application for Canadian Permanent Residency is approved.

Permanent Resident – Once you landed in Canada with your immigrant visa, you’re automatically considered as a landed immigrant and you already have your permanent resident status in Canada.

As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

  • get most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage,
  • live, work or study anywhere in Canada,
  • apply for Canadian citizenship,
  • protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

You are not allowed to:

  • vote or run for political office,
  • hold some jobs that need a high-level security clearance.

Being a permanent resident, you must pay taxes and respect all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.

Skilled Workers – Canada uses a National Occupational Classification (NOC) system to classify jobs/occupations. For immigration purposes, the jobs are grouped in different skill levels. Check this link for more information. Canada uses NOC to decide if a job or type of work experience meets an applicant’s eligibility.

Express Entry – It’s a system that Canada uses to process permanent residency application faster for the most qualified candidates.

Provincial Nomination – Provincial nomination is an important fast-track option for Canadian permanent residence. The Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) allow Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada and who are interested in settling in a particular province. The requirements and processes vary from different Canadian Provinces. In Canada, a province is equivalent to a State in the United States. Once you became a PR through this program, you would need to stay longer in the province that nominated you, but this doesn’t restrict you to move to other provinces depending on different circumstances.

Migrating to Canada

Migrating to Canada – Old Port, Montreal, Quebec

This is not an official guide on applying as a Permanent Resident in Canada or migrating to Canada. This is based on my experience and changes in the process can happen anytime, though you can use this as your starting guide. I suggest you check the official Canada Immigration Website for up to date information. Here’s how you can apply:

1. Do a self-assessment. – Express Entry has an online self-assessment tool to see what your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score might be. If you get the minimum number of required points, you can apply.

2. Check your Savings. – All single immigrants are required to have at least CAD$12,300. Proof of funds is required and if you have dependents joining you in Canada, you need to add another CAD$3,000 for each dependent.

3. Take your Language Test. – If you speak English and French you can take a language test for both but it’s only required to take one test for 1 major Canadian Language. Your score determines your ranking in the Express Entry pool. IELTS is the most common english test required by Canada.

4. Have Your Bachelor’s Degree Assessed. – You will need to get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for your international degree. This is for Canada to find out what’s the equivalent educational level of your degree in Canada. Check here for more details.

5. Watch out for Provincial Nominee Opportunities. – A successful provincial nomination will guarantee you 600 points in your Express Entry profile and the highest chance of getting an invitation to apply for a Permanent Resident in Canada. Here’s the list of provinces in Canada that offer a Provincial Nominee Program.

6. Create Your Express Entry Profile. Once you think you are eligible to apply for Express Entry, you can start creating your profile and filling out your details and uploading the required documents. Take your time to ensure accuracy in your application, you can save and go back to the system and update your application before you finally submit it. Your profile is valid for 1 year.

Migrating to Canada

Migrating to Canada – Toronto with my Aunts

In my case, I created my Express Entry profile even before I got a provincial nomination. It took me just a month to complete my profile and submit it upon receiving my provincial nomination from Manitoba. After a month I got my invitation to apply for PR, I’m mostly prepared with the basic requirements since the same are required in applying for a PR in Australia which I postponed due to this opportunity in migrating to Canada (which I preferred).

Before I submitted my application for Permanent Residency, I was asked to take an upfront medical examination (this is required for all express entry candidates). After I submitted my application in June, I was asked to submit my passport in August and at the end of the month I got my immigrant Visa stamped in my passport including my COPR (Certificate of Permanent Residency) . In the visa, there’s an expiry date in which you should arrive to Canada before that date to activate your PR status.

I arrived in Toronto on June 2016 and with no tedious process, just submitting my COPR to the immigration officer and confirming my address in Canada I am officially a Permanent Resident in Canada. My PR card was delivered to the address I indicated in my COPR. Overall, I just spend around CAD$2,000 for the process.

After 3 years of living in Canada, I can apply for citizenship and have a Canadian Passport and travel the world with no more hindrance of securing a visa in many countries! Migrating to Canada could be the best decision you can make for yourself and your family.

If you feel like this article is helpful, kindly click on the ad below. It won’t cost you anything and it will help me maintain this website. Thank you! 🙂

UPDATE: Since I have received an overwhelming response from this article and a lot of people are consulting rather than having just few questions, I will start to entertain readers who are genuinely interested in Migrating to Canada. If you are interested, please send me an email at and I will give you more details. I am not an official immigration consultant and will only give coaching for independent applications.

Find the cheapest flights here:

Check hotel discounts of the day:

Follow me on Instagram:

Migrating to Canada

3,570 total views, 9 views today

Comments (53)

  • MJ Sumiran . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    Sir, would you know PNP which are open for IT professionals? Been looking for it but Im starting to lose hope that it would still be possible to be given a chance. I have mu express entry profile already but score is not that high. For your advise pls.

  • Dedunu . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    I’m 40 years. Banker. Ielts 5.5 can apply for Canadian p.r. degree special accounting

  • Raju Singh . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    Having over 28yrs Sales & Marketing experience now at the age of 56yrs can I apply for PR in Canada which province will be useful to settle.

  • Sirisha . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    Hi.. my name is Sirisha.. I’m doing Masters in Professional accounting in Australia.. I would like to settle in Canada.. Can I apply for PR in Canada with Australian studies.. Please advise me based on this..

    • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply

      Hi Sirisha, you can do assessment, there’s a link in the article. Cheers!

  • saj . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    You said that you got your provincial nimination from Manitoba to get some points. So how come you landed in Toronto? dont you need to go and live in Manitoba for few years as a mandatory requirement? I am just curious to know the process and requirement. thanks

    • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply

      You can land anywhere as an immigrant. Not all provinces have international airports. But you must live in the province that nominated you.

  • Trish . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    4 months for me and my fiance. We didn’t need a PNP or job offer!! Landed here in August 2016 and never once felt homesick. It is a simple enough process.
    Also, you need to get both your bachelor’s and master’s degrees assessed by WES (not only bachelor’s as written here). Goodluck to all future applicants…

    • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply


  • Sunny . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please share that under which occupation you applied for PR of Canada. Thank you

    • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply

      Computer programmer.

  • Saravanakumar . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    Hi sir already I complete master degree in Germany now I’m Getting one yr experience in India i’m plan to apply for Canada PR visa but I have one doubt 1 yr experienced guy getting job in Canada is easy or not? And then what about the job status in Canada? Tell me sir.

    • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply

      You need to have at least 2 years experience.

  • Jacques Barrìault . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    I’m trying to bring my girlfriend over here to Canada the French government is telling her she has to have a minimum of 5500 Euros before she can travel to Canada on a visitor’s visa is this common practice

    • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply

      I’m not from France but I travel quite often and I’ve never heard of this ridiculous requirement before if she just want to visit. But if she wants to move permanently to Canada, probably you can verify from the official website of CIC.

  • Kemi . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    Hi, thank you for your brief and concise description of the process. I am from Nigeria and I hold a B.Sc in Computer science from a Nigerian university. However, I am self-employed now as I run a breakfast delivery service. I have 3 children and I am married. My husband is a B.Sc holder too but has over 10years work experience from working in Telecoms. Would you be kind enough to tell what route we should take for application for PR as we would like immigrate. Also, can we get menial jobs to sustain ourselves upon arrival till we have Canadian experience to enable us a get a professional job? Thanks for your time.

    • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply

      Hi Kemi, you can check the Provincial Nominee Programs. Your husband should be the main applicant, he can apply for skilled worker stream and you and your children are his dependents.

  • Soufyane . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    Hello sir,im a us green card holder,is there any easy way to apply for a canadian permanent resident,plz email me at

    • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 9, 2017 . Reply

      Sent you a mail.

  • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    You can land anywhere. Not all provinces have international airports. But yes, you need to live in the province that nominated you but that doesn’t mean you cannot move else where.

  • (Author) The Rustic Nomad . October 8, 2017 . Reply

    after getting the invitation and applying for PR, it took just 3 months.

1 2

Add comment